Monday, March 1, 2010

Books in February, 2010

I was going to do a good-bye Olympics mega post or something, but that will have to wait for tomorrow. So, books I've read in February? Not quite as many, I did a lot of rereading this month, but I still read some excellent stuff. So- all the fiction I read, in order of how I read them.


1. Magic Flutes, Eva Ibbotson
My first Eva book, other then her kid stuff. Beautiful writing. I love Maxie and Heidi! Tessa was a bit over the top, but it was lovely anyway.


2. Rapunzel’s Revenge, Shannon and Dean Hale, Nathan Hale

The story was adorable, but what really made it was the illustrations. Hale, Hale and Hale outdid themselves, can't wait for the sequel.


3. The Pearl, John Steinbeck

So, I tried Steinbeck... and was not entirely impressed. The "pearl" symbolized something important, then people die.



4. The Ruby in the Smoke, Philip Pullman

I'm so glad I gave Pullman a go! Exciting, crisp writing, gorgeous setting of course. Loved it.


5. Company of Swans, Eva Ibbotson

Beautifully written, as Eva's books always are. Harriet was a sub-par main character, but it was lovely anyway.


6. Unexpected Magic, Diana Wynne Jones

The fact I spend the first 16 years of my life without this woman is appalling to me. Her stories truly are unexpected magic.



7. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh

I was like Fitzgerald, with a point. It showed in an amazingly realistic way all the different "faces" of Christianity. It was gorgeous, I could talk about it for days.



8. Up the Down Staircase, Bel Kaufman

It was like a Kate Klise book... but for adults! All the different types of kids and writing styles within the book were awesome.



9. The Shadow in the North, Philip Pullman

Almost done with this one, the bad guys are so creepy and excellent, it's a great sequel to Ruby in the Smoke.

Edit: I finished it! Horray! BUT KILLING FRED AND LEAVING HER WITH A BABY WAS NOT NICE PHILIP, OKAY?

If you haven't guessed yet, they were all good, so read them!
The Canadian Anthem is stuck in my head. This was a good Olympics, I can't believe they're not going to happen again till I'm 20! (Summer Olympics don't count. No ice dancing or hockey, thus they're boring.) I am so happy Canada won the gold in hockey! I'm not what you'd call a big sports fan, but heaven help me, I though I was going to die of a heart attack during overtime. I swear I've never been in more of a panic in my life. Call me a traitor to my nation, but the Canadians deserved it.
Dear HTML,
Stop hating me,
Sarah

No comments: