Thursday, January 28, 2010

Books In January, 2010

So I decided this year to keep a list of all the books I read, because I have in the past, forgotten all the good books I read, because I'm just forgetful or something. Anyway, so in this past month I read 11 works of fiction. (Yeah, fiction only, that yucky non-fic/school stuff doesn't count.) And this is in order of how I read them.


1. Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynne Jones
I've already talked about this book way too much here, so I'll just say, go read it, and you won't regret it.


2. The Magician's Elephant, Kate DiCamillo
She is one of my favorite authors, and this, her newest books, was absolutely magical.


3. Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton
Edith is another of my favorite authors, and Ethan Frome was beautiful, but totally different from her other books.


4. Castle in the Air, Diana Wynne Jones
I adore all fantasy books set in an middle-east thousand-and-one-nights sort of world, and this one delivered.


5. Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman
Absolutely, completely charming and heartbreaking. And the illustrations were beautiful too.


6. House of Many Ways, Diana Wynne Jones
Once again, read these books, you won't regret it. It has magic food and a purple villain. And Twinkle.


7. Tiger Rising, Kate DiCamillo
Not my favorite of her books, but altogether lovely nevertheless. The musty motel setting was just gorgeous.


8. This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald
This book sent like fifty different emotions surging through me at one. It was absolutely delightful, hopeless, hysterical, romantic, magical, etc, all at the same time.


9. The Demigod Files, Rick Riordan
Not actually a full book, but I read it, it counts. Oh Clarisse, never change. The Persephone story was the best.


10. Fire and Hemlock, Diana Wynne Jones
The most amazing part about this book is how as Tom grows older, Polly begins to see him as younger. It's ridiculously good writing.


11. O Pioneers, Willa Cather
It's like Little House or Skylark, but for grown-ups. It's beautiful, and really tiny, but very powerful.

As you can see I have an unhealthy emphasis on fantasy written for kids. Oh well. And now that I've read four Diana Wynne Jones books, I just have to say, she writes the most a-freaking-dorable romances ever, so subtle and perfect. Also she never tells you what's going on till the last two chapters.
Anyway, I can't wait for Percy Jackson! Even if I end up going to see it with with a load of squealing 11-year-olds. My little sister has decided she's coming with me... and bringing all her friends, lol!

4 comments:

Sadie said...

one day this list may host something slightly more impressive then 20th and 21st century light reads....

Michelle said...

I love them anways, I really want to start reading and I trust your book suggestions over anyone elses (well, Katie too :D)

Sadie said...

Lol, well, I really loved all of these... what sort of book are you looking for?

Brittany Ann said...

GREAT list. I think I need to go read all the ones I haven't read yet...I refuse to see Percy Jackson until I've read them...

And OH Diana Wynne Jones is just too good. She doesn't need to get all showy and over-the-top about romances...she's like the only person who can be so subtle and get away w/ it. Best part of Fire & Hemlock-- the conflict over Polly's descriptions of backs...and all that happens w/ that. <3