Saturday, July 31, 2010

Books in July, 2010

Seven months already? Good grief! So I've read 75 so far this year, woohoo! Although I haven't done ACTUAL school or actual ANYTHING in forever so the second my life starts getting busy my reading time will suffer. All the more reason to stuff it in now. And these books were, as always, supplemented with a healthy dose of poetry and an unhealthy dose of fanfiction. Maybe next month I'll try something really scary. Hmm.


1. Seth Way, Caroline Dale Snedeker
Jessonda and Seth. Wow. It was so historically accurate it sounded autobiographical and yet the stark realness and history thrown in everywhere did not take away for the beautiful poetics of Snedeker.


2. Tristan and Iseult, Rosemary Sutcliff
Clean writing, beautiful dialogue, classic Sutcliff classicness. I do not know how else to put it. She writes her books as if they had been translated. It's amazing.


3. Though the Darkness Hide Thee, Susan Wise Bauer
This was really good, a complete trip. A religious modern-day murder mystery morality tale about unburying sin, redemption and following a calling. I loved how she used the deer corpse as a metaphor for the sin.


4. Summer, Edith Wharton
This may be my new favorite Wharton. It was so brilliantly pieced together and pointed out the folly of girls in an amazing way. It made me rather bashful to realize I had so much in common with Charity.


5. Tales from a Village School, Miss Read
An adorable, fresh little book about British school children in the 1940's. It reminded me a bit of All Creatures. The children were really individually developed which impressed me.


6. Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman's writing demands respect. Even when I read a story I wasn't crazy about I had to realized just how original and woah it was. I liked his sci-fi ventures best, I think he should do more aliens and less ghosts.


7. Green Dolphin Street, Elizabeth Goudge
I am not actually quite done with this one yet. It is rather massive. It's amazing but one of those books that needs to be read really slowly. The sister's relationship is refreshing.


8. Chains, Laurie Halse Anderson
I did not expect this book to be so good. I was blown away. It sucked me in and gave me all sides to the story. It wasn't heavy handed at all which, considering the subject matter, I found really impressive. Also COLONIAL TIMES YUSS.


9. The Glimpses of the Moon, Edith Wharton
This book made me really sad because the main character were like Betsy and Joe. Just with a bad end. The writing was breathtaking as always.


10. Not My Will, Francena Arnold
A bit melodramatic but the message and heart-felt sincerity underneath it was lovely. And Eleanor was such an awesome character. A living breathing Slytherin main character! That's not common.


11. Ghost World, Daniel Clowes
This book was so sincere and blunt that it because almost like magical realism. The art was fantastic- almost black and white, and so much detail. Enid and Rebecca's relationship was the best part though.


12. A Hidden Magic, Vivian Vande Velde
Breathtaking illustrations aside it was a lovely story. I am a sucker for simple, honest fairy tales. No invented creatures, no bizarre languages, no new rules for old beings. Just traditional witches and tiny kingdoms and everything-is-not-what-it-seems.

This will be my last post for a week. Packing for an trip into the unknown is terrifying. My list is massive. So right now I am listening to The Gay Blades, drinking Yogi tea and getting my fill of the internet to tide me over while in the unknown.
I really want a smoothie from those smoothie people in Columbus Circle.
Okay, see you in a week.

No comments: