Thursday, October 15, 2009

OTP: Shakespeare Edition

So, in all honesty, sometimes Shakespeare's couples are lacking in sincerity, in epicness, or in brains. (see: Romeo and Juliet.) But sometimes, they're downright OTP material. Here are my favorite Shakespeare couples because I can't think of anything better to post about. Also because I am listening the the Twelfth Night soundtrack: http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/DACllaIOF024rzCP.swf OH THE MEMORIES.


Benedick and Beatrice, Much Ado About Nothing. I'm not sure if you can sum them up in four lines. They're the original Lizzie and Mr Darcy, only oh-so-much-better. They fight, and say mean things, and are proud and obnoxious and hate one another so much they just have to get married! Their fight at the Masque alone is enough to place them on the Epic OTP List.


Viola and Orsino, Twelfth Night. I was always so utterly annoyed with Olivia in my past readings of this play, that I completely forgot to appreciate how adorable Viola and Orsino were. When I read it again this summer after seeing the stage production in Central Park, I saw them in a whole new light. They have some hysterical banter about unrequited love, and are very ~soulmateish~ Also, happy endings, hooray!


Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, Macbeth. This right here is the picture of a good marriage. Sticking together though the thick and the thin. Trusting each other, respecting each other, plotting murder with each other... you know. All that good stuff. They end very sadly of course, it being a tragedy and all, but while it lasted they were power-couple extraordinaire.


Leontes and Hermione, A Winter's Tale. They were my absolute favorite on that cassette of read-aloud Shakespeare plays we used to have. So maybe Leontes was really mean to poor Hermione, but then his life sucked and he repented and they lived happily ever once she stopped pretending to be a statue. (Plot device much?) But sadly, no one ever remembers them... they need more love.


Henry and Katherine, Henry V. They are, considering how few scenes they actually have together, are one of the most adorable and sappy Shakespeare couples. My mommy loves them... she has a rose that my dad gave her pressed in her copy of the play at Act V, Scene II. If you don't know which one that is, go read it. Most romantic proposal ever, no?

Before I go I just have to say GO READ A WINTER'S TALE. It is one of his BEST PLAYS and seriously, no one GIVES IT THE TIME OF DAY. And I sure don't know why BECAUSE IT ROCKS OKAY NOW GO READ IT THANK YOU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHH!!! LOVE the soundtrack! Awesome memories!

Anonymous said...

I love the last song. Remember when they sang it and it started to rain! It was purely magical!