Thursday, September 9, 2010

Songs about my city

I feel about the city the way some people do about small towns. It's all very near and dear to me and I sometimes forget how grand it actually is. These songs are the best NYC songs, the ones that capture the homey feeling of the city, the intimate parts of it that I love so much.


Back to Manhattan, Norah Jones
"Brooklyn holds you/It holds my heart too/What a fool I was to think I could let them both go/ I'll go back to Manhattan/As if nothing ever happened/When I cross that bridge/It'll be as if this don't exist."



The 59th Street Bridge, Simon and Garfunkel
"Slow down, you move too fast/You got to make the mornin' last/Just kickin' down the cobblestones/Lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy"


Paris Nights/New York Mornings, Corinne Bailey Rae
"Breakfast at Mickey’s/Make-up still on/Elbows on the greasy table cloth/One more coffee and one last cigarette/Smiling at the rain cause you hold me close/My best dress on underneath this old coat/Walking down Bleecker no one is awake yet."


Into Brooklyn, Early in the Morning, The Innocence Mission
"Beautiful life/Full of grieving/So will sing the Russian choir/They will sing in the square/As you come down through the Brooklyn air/To the ground."


The Marching Bands of Manhattan, Death Cab For Cutie
"If I could open my arms/And span the length of the isle of Manhattan/I'd bring it to where you are/Making a lake of the East River and Hudson/If I could open my mouth/Wide enough for a marching band to march out."


Back of a Truck, Regina Spektor
"There's a back of a truck selling alien pods/There's a back of a truck selling game show hosts/There's a back of a truck selling the souls of the dead/There's a back of a truck selling crumb free bread/This is New York/There's a back of a truck selling the back of a car/There's a back of a car selling roadway maps /There are roadway maps selling the back of a head."


Chicago, Sufjan Stevens
"I drove to New York/In the van, with my friend/We slept in parking lots/I don't mind, I don't mind/I was in love with the place/In my mind, in my mind/I made a lot of mistakes/In my mind, in my mind.
"

Today was actually bordering upon COLD! This fall will be awesomesauce. Comic-Con, the Medieval Fair, Richmond Town and the Long Island Fair, Michaelmas, the Steuben Day Parade...
Third day of school. I have survived thus far.

No comments: